The Joseph Memoirs: Lessons in the Dungeon


You've met me in the dungeon and seen me at my worst. You have determined my current to be destiny and my surroundings my story. You see me smile in the darkness and think I have accepted it and made it home, but it's only because God has taught me to let patience have her perfect work in me. 
I am Joseph; one who hardly fits in. One who is easily misunderstood, not because I am a trouble maker but because I am a leader who pioneers the introduction of new standards. Like Abel, who loved God so much he gave his best, he unintentionally set a high standard and exposed the jealous wrath of his brother Cain. Other than Cain renewing his mind to this new level of worship, it was easier to kill the standard, so he could confirm to his way of doing things. Like Abel, I suffer at the hands of 'Cains' [brethren]; I am thrown into pits, sold into bondage and chained in despair so that standards are never changed. My life screams an excellence God has anointed me with but sadly exposes the mediocrity in others. Mediocrity that until I showed up, was once excellence. See? I set new standards. 

It hurts to be a Joseph sometimes but God is my strength. God holds me and keeps me and reminds me that I cannot only rejoice in his pleasures but must partake in his sufferings as well. For in the sufferings I find new strength, new joy and new hope. In the sufferings I am made stronger because my strength is in him. My weakness is made perfect in him in the darkness of the dungeons I am thrown into. This perspective is powerful, for it brings me great freedom. It saves me from the opportunity of dumbing down to fit in; the mistake of settling so I can conform; compromising so I can be accepted. If God's ways cause me to end up in dungeons but remain in his will, then I choose his ways. For his ways are perfect, whole and for my good and expected end. 

I rest in this, the dungeon is only an incubator for my soul to be polished and matured to match the dream in my spirit. The triune network of my being (body, soul and spirit) were designed to work in unity blueprint as that of it's Maker. My spirit seated in heavenly places with God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit is transformed and living in victory daily; but my soul, and sometimes body, need time to catch up to it. Dungeons, trials, tribulations although painful, are great catalysts of acceleration in growth for my soul. So as I wait for God's dreams for my life to manifest, my pen and paper are out. I'm taking mental notes, I'm asserting my myself as a leader. Learning the difference between being nice and being peaceful. Learning how to make my identity in God shine brightly so that in the midst of darkness his LIGHT is seen. I'm learning how to say goodbye to people I can't take with me because this new height requires a greater sacrifice that others are not ready to take. I'm learning how to ask my myself the right questions, that are difficult in nature so that I am the change I want to see. The quietness of this place allows me time to think, to process, evaluate and become. 

Like me, many were sent here to be silenced; to slowly die internally as their fate rested in the hands of Pharaoh. What Potiphar intended for evil, I see God using for good daily. HOW? I am silenced and dying. BUT NOT THE WAY EVIL INTENDED. I am dying to my old ways that would never survive in the place of promotion God is taking me to. This place is silencing my flesh that wants to speak out and fight, ultimately destroying my character. I'm dying to my ways of playing it safe and in turn allowing the courage of my heart to roar like the lion that it is. I'm being reborn, reawakened and remade. This is a cocoon. So don't think this place is my destiny, I'm just passing through and being polished. Don't mistake my surroundings for my story, nor my smile for acceptance. I am simply letting patience have her perfect way in my life. I am Joseph. 


Comments

Popular Posts